Message sent from:

SEN and Inclusion

St Peter's Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) - Mrs Evans

If you need to contact Mrs Evans please do so via the school office office@st-peters.havering.sch.uk

Local Authority Local Offer

Our School's SEND Report

  • What is ‘The Local Offer’ and what will it do?

    The purpose of the local offer is to improve choice for families by providing information about services available for children and young people aged 0-25 who have special educational needs and/or disabilities.

Definition of SEN

A pupil has SEN where their learning difficulty calls for special educational provision, that is provision that is different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age. 

Making higher quality teaching normally available to the whole class is likely to mean that fewer pupils will require such support. Such improvements in wholeclass provision tend to be more cost effective and sustainable.’ -

The New Code of Practice 2014 6.12

Children who are identified as having a Special Educational need will receive a graduated response to their individual needs. This is called ‘additional SEN support’. It has been designed to be a more simplified rigorous approach with the focus being on the impact of that support to an individual child.

St Peter’s Primary School is an inclusive school and has the capability to offer a range of provision to support children with SEND. These needs may be communication and interaction, social, emotional and mental health difficulties, cognition and learning needs and sensory or physical needs.

The following questions are designed to provide more information about the Local Offer from St Peter’s Primary School and how we can support your child.

  • How does the school know if a child needs extra help?

    We have a number of ways that this is identified.

    • Information provided by pre-school or a previous school.
    • Transition meetings between settings.
    • Information from other services.
    • Concerns raised by parents/ carers, teachers or the child.
    • Limited progress is being made.
    • There is a change in the pupil’s behavior or progress.
    • Formal assessments (e.g. whole class Language Link screening of Foundation Stage)
  • What should you do if you think your child has special educational needs?
    • If your child has identified additional needs prior to starting school, please let the school know at the time a place is offered and accepted.
    • If you have concerns about your child’s learning in the first case, you need to speak with your child’s class teacher.
    • Contact the SENCO. (Mrs J Evans), via the school office.
    • Depending on the need, other contacts could include the School Nurse (at Romford clinic or at a School Nurse Drop-in Session at school), your child’s GP or Health Visitor.
  • How will the school support my child and how will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?
    • Quality First Teaching:

    • All teachers are teachers of inclusion and special needs. We aim to provide Quality First Teaching in an inclusive classroom and with a differentiated curriculum for all pupils. Each class teacher is responsible for planning and delivering lessons appropriate to the range of needs in their class. Differentiation for individual pupils may be through the resources provided, different learning activities or the level of support.
    • The class teacher is responsible for checking on the progress of each pupil and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help they may need. The progress of all children is reviewed regularly at pupil progress meetings. If a pupil is not making progress, the class teacher will share their concerns with the parents to discuss next steps.
    • Initially, the class teacher will identify how they will provide additional support for the pupil using the resources available to them (this could include extra reading practice) All interventions will be recorded on provision maps and teaching assistants will keep ongoing assessment information which is shared with class teachers (a record of timings and impact).
    • SEN Support:

      If a child is identified as making little progress, despite targeted intervention and may be needing further specialist support, they will be placed at ‘SEN Support’. These pupils require longer-term interventions and will be given an Individual Educational Plan (IEP). Individual targets will be set according to their area of need.

      These will be reviewed regularly by the class teacher and parents will be invited to termly reviews with the class teacher. The SENCo will attend at least one of these during the academic year.

      Where necessary, the school will seek specialist support from outside agencies in consultation with parents. These may include a Speech Therapist, Educational Psychologist, Advisory Teacher or Behaviour Support Advisor. Referral forms are then completed with the parents/carers and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After observation and/or assessment, a programme of support or appropriate strategies is provided to the school and parents/carers.

      Teaching assistants may be allocated to support the child in a 1:1 or small group to target more specific needs.

      If appropriate, specialist equipment will be used.

      We aim to match provision to need. We are able to offer support in a number of ways, including:

    1. Speech programmes –as identified by NHS or those identified by Speech Link screening.
    2. Language programmes – either for pupils on NHS caseload or those identified by Language Link screening.
    3. Language groups – for Foundation & Year 1 currently.
    • If pupils have a need related to a more specific area of the curriculum, such as spelling, reading skills acquisition, maths, then pupils will receive specific  intervention. This will be delivered by a Teaching Assistant or HLTA. It will last for a specified amount of time, (half term or term). It will be reviewed as to its effectiveness and to inform future provision.
    • All interventions will be recorded on  provision maps (a record of timings, cost and impact).
  • How will I know how my child is doing?
    • You will be able to speak to your child’s class teacher at the end of a school day.
    • You can make an appointment to speak to the teacher or the Senco.
    • You will be invited to termly review meetings and informed of any interventions that the school is considering.
    • A report is given at the end of the summer term.
    • Children with an EHCP will be invited to an annual review meeting.
  • How will you help me to support my child’s learning?
    • An overview of your child’s class curriculum will be provided at the beginning of each term.
    • Differentiated homework will be provided weekly.
    • Your class teacher will speak to you about any individual tasks or approaches that may benefit your child.
    • Curriculum information evenings for parents will be organized throughout the year.
    • A questionnaire is sent to parents at the end of the Foundation Year.
    • For some pupils a communication book may be used.
    • Parents in Partnership (PIPs) is available locally and they can be contacted on 01708 433885.
    • The Havering Local Offer can provide information on school and services available in the borough. It can be found at:
    • https://www.haveringfsd.co.uk/localoffer/

  • What support will there be for my child’s well-being?

    Support we can provide in school may include:

    • Whole School Behavior Policy.
    • Social skills intervention groups.
    • Nurture groups.
    • Individual Reward and Sanctions Programmes, timed, regularly reviewed.

    Pupils with Medical Needs

    • For pupils with ongoing medical needs requiring an individual response, a Health Care Plan will be drawn up by the School Nurse in consultation with the parents and SENCo.
    •  Staff receive epi-pen awareness training by the School Nurse.
    • Other medical training (dependent on current needs in school) will be sought from appropriate medical professionals as required.
    • Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers, prescribed medicines may be administered in school, when a medical consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.
    • A number of staff members have received paediatric First Aid training.
    • The Managing Medicines Policy is available on the school website.
  • What Specialist Services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

    At times we may need to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise.
    The agencies currently available to the school are:

    • Educational Psychology Service
    • Havering CAD 5-19 (Advisory Teachers)
    • Speech and Language Therapy (NHS)
    • Havering Behaviour and Attendance Support Service
    • Havering EAL Service
    • Children’s Services
    • NHS School Nurse Team
    • Brentwood Catholic Children’s Services
    • When necessary, school will liaise with NHS Services including:

    • Occupational Therapy
    • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
    • Community Paediatricians.
  • What training have staff had or are undertaking to support children with SEND?

    The Head Teacher oversees The Continual Professional Development of all staff. Training to support all pupils and children with SEND is carried out by external providers and the SENCO. Training that has taken place for individuals or groups includes:

    • How to support pupils with behavioural needs (positive handling)
    • How to support pupils on the Autistic Spectrum (incl work stations, visual schedules, PECs, sensory needs etc)
    • How to support pupils with Emotional and Mental Health Needs (delivered by BCCS)
    • In accordance with Statutory guidelines the SENCo is a qualified teacher.
      For a child who requires a more specific and personalized plan of support, appropriate training will be sought to best support the child and those working with them.
  • How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

    Activities and school trips are available to all.

    • Risk assessments are carried out for each trip and a suitable number of adults accompany the children. This may be 1-1 support.
    • After school clubs are available to all children.
  • How accessible is the school environment?

    The school site is largely wheelchair accessible and we are happy to discuss individual access requirements. Facilities we have at present include;

    • A toilet for the disabled, with shower
    • 2 additional disabled access toilets.
    • A lift to the first floor
    • 2 wheelchair lifts for short flights of steps
    • Steps and frames to use to adapt toilets
    • Ramps into hall and from outside to infant area
  • How will the school prepare and support my child when joining or transferring to a new school?


    • Transfer meetings between Foundation teachers and the settings for all new intake. Staff will visit settings.
    • Transition meetings between SENCo, Parents and child’s Early Years Setting if SEND is already identified.
    • Summer term sessions for all new September Intake, with additional sessions if necessary.
    • Induction Meetings for parents in the summer term.
    • Flexible entry to Reception if necessary, including an earlier start date if required.
    • Pupil Centred Review Meetings (PCRs) between parents, child, SENCOs from both schools and any other professionals for vulnerable pupils or those with additional needs.
    • Visits from Secondary staff to meet children transferring up.
    • Pupil Centred Review Meetings (PCRs) between parents, child, SENCOs from both schools and any other professionals for vulnerable pupils or those with additional needs.
  • How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?
    • The SEN Budget is allocated each financial year, it is managed by the Head Teacher and the Governing Body.
    • Resources include deployment of Teaching Assistants and this deployment is reviewed regularly, depending upon individual pupil’s needs and any additional needs that may arise.
    • Resources are requested and ordered as necessary to support each pupil’s learning.
  • How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?
    • These decisions are made based on an individual child’s needs, by the class teacher, SENCo and senior leadership team. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and as a result of assessments or advice from outside agencies.
    • All interventions are monitored for impact and outcomes as defined at the start.
    • If further concerns arise at any time during a child’s school life, then adjustments will be made.
  • How will I be involved in discussion about and planning for my child’s education?

    We strongly believe that a partnership approach with parents/ carers is the best way to support a pupil’s learning and needs. We also encourage all pupils to contribute to discussion relating to their education, and value that contribution. This is normally within the context of:

    • Discussions with the class teacher informally or at consultation meetings.
    • Review meetings with the class teacher and SENCo.
    • Review meetings and discussion with other professionals.
  • Who can I contact for further information?
    • In the first instance parents/ carers are encouraged to talk to their child’s class teacher.

      Further information and support can be obtained from Mrs Evans (SENCo) and Mrs Waterfield (Head Teacher). Contact can be made via the school office on 01708 745506

      Havering local Authority provides a SENDIASS support service which can be contacted at SENDIASS 

    If you have any questions or wish to look around the school, please contact the school office

Our Local Offer - Printable Version

Hit enter to search